Saturday, August 22, 2009

Berryman 12hr Duathlon

I headed down to Steeleville, MO to tackle 12hr Duathlon in the solo female cateogory. I did the 6hr last year and remembered the heat and pain. After getting 2nd last year, I was focused on winning the 12hr and wanted to do it on my single speed. The duathlon consisted of 6hr and 12hr male and female racers.The trail run was 5.4 miles and the biking leg was 13 miles. You chose which one you wanted to do 1st and then, had to alternate for remainder of race. However, you had to complete both legs to complete a lap. The race started at 7am for 12hr racers and 9am for 6hr races. Suprisingly this year, there were more 12hr racers than 6hr folks. Todd decided to sit this one out and support when needed. At race start, only me and another male decided to tackle the bike leg 1st. I shortly realized that I was the one clearing out the spider webs on the trail. Thank god the male finally caught up with me to take over as the human spider web. I HATE spiders. I stayed pretty consistent on both legs of the race for 12hrs and only stopped to change shoes and helmet. I was excited to hear that not only I won 1st in Solo Female but, got 4th overall with the 12hr men. Jason and Laura Elsenraat, with Bonk Hard Racing, did a fantastic job putting on this event. I walked away with a new $160 pack, free entry into any Bonk Hard Racing event, socks, and a can of Spam (thanks Laura!).

No comments:

Post a Comment