Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Winter Training

Even though I miss competing during the winter months, I do need the mental and physical break from racing and enjoy hitting the weight room with Off the Front folks and coach Chris Mileski. Our workouts take place at the Sports Enhancement Group in Chesterfield Valley from November through early March. Coach Mileski incorporates a lot of plyometrics and core work along with the weights. I have also added circuit fitness this year to increase my speed with sprint work and fast twitch drills to help prepare me for different races I have added on the calendar for 2013. Our workouts last 1 1/2 to 2 hours twice a week. It's always a blast training with a group of fun energetic people who also share the same passion I do-endurance racing.

This winter I will also be incorporating more trail running, paddling, and climbing/rope work to prepare for long adventure races and off-road triathlons and biathlons I've added to my 2013 calendar. I use to do a lot of adventure racing back in the day and do miss it.  I'm really excited about racing with my teammates, Zdenek, Todd Dohogne, and Dave Hagen more in 2013. They are such great guys to race with and super strong and fast. I  need to bump my training up a bit though in order to keep up with them! Our goal is to qualify for and race USARA Nationals, which will be held in Brown County, Indiana in 2013. Off-road triathlons (with kayaking instead of swimming) and biathlons will be new for me and can't wait to see what I can do. 

No, I didn't give up mountain bike racing. In fact, I have some of my usual endurance mountain bike races on the calendar along with some biggies-24 hours of Alaska-Mud, Sweat, and Gears and 24 hours of Dino in Indiana. I am also looking forward to breaking out the singlespeed again for more races next year.  I have a new sponsor that I will be racing for in 2013. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to share soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment