Saturday, July 20, 2013

XTERRA Dino Triathlon

I decided early in the year I wanted to try an off-road triathlon.  I found a really cool triathlon with a kayaking option in Versailles, Indiana.  I have done a couple 24hour mountain bike races here so I know the trail really well and love it! What the heck, I thought I might as well do the mountain bike race too which was also being held at Versailles the next day following the triathlon. Brian is the same race director who puts on the 24hr MTN bike race and I know he puts on great events.





I actually left my family vacation a day early from beautiful Hilton Head Island and headed to Versailles to attempt the triathlon. I have never done a triathlon before so wasn't too sure what to do or expect. However, I have a few adventure races under my belt over the past 12 years so I figured I could apply what I've learned from those.  I also got a lot of help with training for the triathlon from my coach, Chris Mileski.

I arrived to the race early, of course, to check in and stage my gear where I thought I would have quick
transitions.  I was happy to see Jackie, Lisa, and Cory-all St. Louis women who also came to race.The triathlon with the swimming went off before my race. We got to see Corey Redmond blast off into the water to start her swimming leg.


20 minutes later, our gun went off for the triathlon with kayaking. We started a short running sprint to the lake for the 1.5 mile kayaking leg. I chose to do the short run and kayak in my mountain bike shoes so I could save time in the TA.  We had a slight headwind going out to the buoy
where our turn around was. I found myself creeping up to 3rd place with the men and then, managed to take over 2nd place overall. I pulled up to shore in a little over 18 minutes. I quickly hopped out of the kayak and started running towards the TA while stripping off my kayaking gear.  I quickly put my helmet on and grabbed tools/pump and off I went in 42 seconds.

The next leg was my favorite part of course, mountain biking. This 13 mile mountain bike trail is so awesome and fun. However, I knew I was going to suffer if I wanted to try to keep up with the men on this leg.  I could really feel my heart rate exploding as I raced through the woods. I started catching up and passing a lot of folks from the swimming triathlon. I eventually dropped my chain and had to stop to fix since I couldn't get it back on while peddling. Dang it..I lost a couple of spots.  I came back into the TA after the 13 miles in a little over 1hr 18min.

After another quick TA, I headed out for the 5 mile run. The first half of the running course was very hilly with parts which were hard to even run up. Not to mention, you had to hop over or squeeze under trees at times. Again, my heart rate was pounding. The second half was a little more flowing and I was able to settle in better and start increasing my speed. The heat really started affecting some folks and several guys were cramping. I managed to pass up some more runners and I finished this section in a little over 54 min. I crossed the finish line in 2:32:50. Wow...what a blast! I pulled off 1st overall female, and 3rd overall. Congrats to Jackie, Lisa, and Cory who also rocked it. I can't wait till next year!





The next day, Todd, Jay Strothman, and I raced the mountain bike race there. The loop was only 10 miles for this race. With my division only getting to do one lap, I knew I would have to go ovaries to the wall the whole time. My legs were pretty toasty from the triathlon the day before but, I got 1st in age group and 4th overall. This was suppose to be more of a fun race for me but, it was actually pretty painful even though so short compared to most races I do. I really love the series and individual awards they have. I am looking forward to coming back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment