Saturday, September 4, 2010

Binder Lake 6hr


Binder Lake 6hr had a great turn out for the women this year! 10 women raced 6hr solo this time. I felt pretty good going into this race since I was just there for the single speed championships. But, when I saw 10 women registered I got little butterflies before the race. Some tough women showed up. I knew I couldn't go all out 110% since I have 24hr solo in Indiana next weekend. Can't go into that race sore especially, racing my single speed for both races. What do I do? Some great competition that I wanted to stack up against but, looking at the bigger picture. Talked to my coach, Chris Meleski, night before. "Is this an "A" race for you, " he asked? "No but, I will make it my goal to be top 3," I said.


The race started off with a neutral ride down a paved road (no running this time!). They announced the race would start when we reached the grass and when we heard the shot gun go off. Only about 200 yrds in, the shot gun went off while we were all still on the road...race on! I started off with my usual steady pace. I like to work my way up rather than blow up and go down. But, this is always mentally hard for me because you feel so far behind. I keep telling myself it's a long race and need to be steady on the SS. I think I was in 6 or 7th for 1st 3hrs. My back wheel decided to come off on lap 3. Can I be mad at Todd for being so nice to put my chain on and back wheel night before the race? Nahhh...I didn't get hurt.


Before I knew it, I moved up to 3rd. This is where I would be happy when going home before the big race. But no, Mia Phillips wasn't about to give up her 3rd place. Race was on again for my last 3 laps. I would pass her then, she would come out of no where like a rabbit! Where does this come from I kept asking? So, mentally down again. Keep steady keep steady. Came in on 7th lap to find her standing there. Loreen said she's done. Oh yeah! 5 min left...heading out for 8th lap to lock up 3rd. I still was nervous thinking she changed her mind and would still come. So, I cranked out the last lap just in case. Great job Mia! You were strong. Congrats to Stephanie on 1st and Barbie on 2nd.


I had a blast at this race. Went a little harder than I wanted but, didn't go crazy. Perfect before next weekend. We missed you Wendy!

1 comment:

  1. My back tire fell off AFTER the SS champs while I was putting it away. Hmmmmm. I thought I should have been faster that day! If I live I will learn.

    ReplyDelete